Nerd's Eye View
Course Review Date:
This month we review the November articles on Nerd’s Eye View, specifically the following five: (1) Using Age Banding To Estimate How Spending Will Decline In Retirement, (2) Bad Mortgage Prepayment Psychology And The Need For Automatic Recasting, (3) The Future Of Estate Planning And Potential Repeal Under President Trump, (4) Strategies To Rescue A Life Insurance Policy With A Sizable Loan, and (5) Understanding The 2017 Income Tax Reform Proposals: President Trump Vs House Republicans.
- LO #1: Discuss the traditional view of retirement spending. Explain what age banding is, and how it can help us understand how retirement spending needs to change. Discuss the differences in retirement spending patterns given retirement age bands. Illustrate how financial planners can implement an age-band retirement spending plan.
- LO #2: Discuss the poor psychological characteristics of mortgage prepayments. Explain how recasting a mortgage after principal repayment works. Identify the costs and hassles of manually recasting a mortgage. Explain how automatically recasting loans could incentivize healthy saving behavior.
- LO #3: Discuss President-Elect Trump’s proposed tax legislation. Discuss the potential for Federal estate tax repeal. Identify estate planning strategies for clients at different stages within the planning process. Discuss ideas for adjusting an estate plan as well as 2016 year-end planning considerations.
- LO #4: Identify the problems associated with life insurance loan strategies. Explain what a life insurance loan rescue strategy is. Identify specific loan rescue strategies. Discuss the importance of ongoing monitoring when implementing a loan rescue strategy.
- LO #5: Discuss the possibilities of individual income tax reform in 2017. Identify tax reform proposals from both President Trump and the Republicans. Discuss the political feasibility of income tax reform in 2017.
Level of Complexity:
- CFP: General Principles of Financial Planning / Insurance Planning / Tax Planning / Retirement Planning / Estate Planning /
- NASBA: Specialized Knowledge (Personal Financial Planning)
- CE: 1.0 hour
- CPE (recommended): 1.0 hour
INSTRUCTIONAL DELIVERY METHODS:
CFP, PFS, or comparable financial planning education.
HOW HOURS ARE DETERMINED:
- CFP CE credit determined based on word count.
- NASBA recommended CPE determined based on word count.
Access to self-study courses is offered as a benefit of Kitces.com membership. Our catalog lists individual courses which may be completed by members.
We offer a 100% refund through earlier of 90 days or your second CE/CPE quiz.
COMPLAINT RESOLUTION POLICY:
For more information regarding administrative policies such as complaints, please contact email@example.com.
OFFICIAL NASBA SPONSOR STATMENT:
Kitces.com is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA), as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its web site: www.nasbaregistry.org.