From time to time, Michael Kitces of Kitces.com has positions available for hire, either associated with Kitces.com itself, or one of Michael’s related businesses.
Current Career Opportunities At Kitces.com
*This position has been filled
Kitces.com publishes the leading financial planning industry blog Nerd’s Eye View, producing award-winning commentary on financial planning strategies and practice management trends for financial advisors, ranked as the most Influential, Objective, Relevant, and Useful content amongst any online media publication for financial advisors. Our Members Section provides additional white papers, webinars, and the opportunity for financial planning professionals to earn continuing education credits, and we are invited to speak regularly at financial advisor conferences across the US and around the world to present our analysis and insights.
Kitces.com is hiring a Senior Technical Editor to be responsible for overseeing the educational quality and technical accuracy of our advanced educational content, ensuring that content is both grammatically accurate and free of any typos, correct regarding the application of the latest tax law or retirement strategy, and accurate regarding any Excel or other models developed for the analysis, while helping to turn complex advanced practice management content and technical planning analyses into understandable concepts and compelling narratives that educate (while occasionally contributing content of your own).
So if you’re an introverted financial planning nerd who has occasionally been accused of being the ‘Grammar Police’ regarding the proper use of the Oxford comma and your immaculate attention to detail, have a nearly pathological obsession to continuously read and learn and take in new information so you can refine and share with others, are in the process of accumulating (or have already accumulated) a veritable “alphabet soup” of industry degrees and designations, can see educational stories and narratives to tell when reading the tax law or looking at a spreadsheet full of data, and have a skillset of distilling complexity into something that is clearly… then this is the job for you! ?
This full-time entirely virtually-based staff position (work from anywhere, no relocation required!) will work directly with Michael Kitces and his team, and be primarily responsible for the technical accuracy of all educational- and CE-related content through the Kitces Education line of business, including Nerd’s Eye View blog content, The Kitces Report white papers, recorded and live webinars, speaking engagements, and the Kitces.com Members Section.
Further description of annual responsibilities are indicated below.
Technical editing responsibilities:
– Edit all Nerd’s Eye View blog posts and The Kitces Report white papers to improve educational/instructional value for readers, with an eye towards ensuring concepts are clearly and thoroughly explained, technically accurate, and done in a manner that crafts a clear narrative that draws the reader through the article.
– Ensure Guest Post content reasonably fits Nerd’s Eye View editorial guidelines, and edit/adapt content as necessary (and/or work with guest authors to make edits as necessary), while maintaining the article author’s own “voice”
– Augment articles with Technical Editor’s own content where necessary to more effectively explain key concepts, other educational points, or to improve the article narrative
– Edit transcripts for the Financial Advisor Success podcast and other audio/video content to improve readability of transcripts without undermining author voice and key points
– Review every Nerd’s Eye View blog post and The Kitces Report white paper before publication to verify both technical accuracy, and that all content has proper grammar, spelling, punctuation, and is typo free
– Craft Executive Summaries for blog articles, The Kitces Report, and other Kitces educational content, consistent with editorial style
– Review or support the creation of spreadsheet models where necessary to analyze key topics or issues
– Work with Associate Editor to ensure timely posting and delivery of all Kitces.com blog and Members Section content
– Support Kitces Research team as necessary on review of Kitces Research studies, including survey design, and White Paper and Research Report writing
Annual Writing and publishing responsibilities:
– Creation of 6 full-length articles for Nerd’s Eye View (one every two months) throughout the calendar year
– Assist in the creation of other blog content as needed (e.g., Office Hours)
Key Candidate Traits
The ideal candidate should be self-motivated enough to work in a virtual environment with limited supervision, have an extremely strong inclination for continuous learning, an immaculate attention to detail, excellent writing and editing skills, and an intrinsic desire to help advance the financial advisor community.
Completion of CFP education or equivalent required, with a strong preference for also having a relevant Master’s degree, CPA license, and/or other advanced designations. Direct planning experience with clients is a positive, but not required.
– Base salary $80,000/year – $100,000/year based on experience
– Available bonus up to 12% of base salary, determined by meeting key Members Section metrics
– $5,000 budget for additional financial planning education (i.e., post-CFP designations/certifications) or other training/skills education
– $2,000 budget for technology hardware/software or related office materials
– $3,000 conference budget
– Paid membership in Financial Planning Association and/or other relevant membership associations
– 15 days of paid time off for combined vacation + sick, plus 6 national holidays
– Full-time but extremely flexible hours in virtual/remote office environment
Interested candidates should submit their Resume and Cover Letter to [email protected], with “Senior Technical Editor” in the subject line, and may include an (optional) up-to-2-minute video to discuss why they are interested in the position as well.
Careers At Kitces-Related Businesses
For current job opportunities at XY Planning Network and our related businesses, click here.
For current job opportunities at AdvicePay, click here.
For currently available positions at Pinnacle Advisory Group, click here.
For current opportunities for financial advisors at New Planner Recruiting, click here.