From time to time, Michael Kitces of Kitces.com has positions available for hire, either associated with Kitces.com itself, or one of Michael’s related businesses.
Current Career Opportunities At Kitces.com
Kitces.com is the leading financial planning industry blog, producing award-winning blog commentary on financial planning strategies and practice management trends for financial advisors. Our Members Section provides additional webinars, white papers, and the opportunity for financial planning professionals to earn continuing education credits, and we are invited to speak regularly at financial advisor conferences to present our analysis and insights.
Kitces.com is hiring a Senior Researcher to help us build and develop a new line of business conducting original survey research studies in the financial advisor community about what real financial advisors actually do, from the creation of the survey to writing a research report or white paper on the results.
This position includes a long-term opportunity for the successful candidate to become a partner in the Kitces Research business in 3-5 years.
This entirely virtually-based full-time staff position (work from anywhere, no relocation required!) will work directly with Michael Kitces and his team, and be responsible for a series of 2-4 annual advisor research studies to be developed over time.
The core focus of Kitces Research will be to study “real” financial advisors – whose primary business is actually the delivery of advice – to better understand how they create and deliver financial plans, how they price their services, how they use technology, and how they market and grow their advice-centric firms.
The Senior Researcher will be responsible for both the creation of the survey instruments (and managing our survey software), analyzing the results, and writing research reports, white papers, blog articles, and Journal contributions based on our original research data. Candidates interested in presenting will have public speaking opportunities over time as well.
Additional responsibilities will include overseeing that the educational requirements for our delivery of continuing education credits are properly satisfied (including the creation of learning objectives and outline for CE materials, and writing CE quizzes), contributing with occasional additional blog articles to the Nerd’s Eye View, and creating Excel or other models and spreadsheets as needed to support either the analysis of other Kitces.com blog articles and white papers, or the creation of graphs, charts, and other supporting visual elements.
Further description of annual responsibilities are indicated below.
– 2 full-length Research Studies in 2019, expanded to 4 (quarterly) Research Studies in 2020 as systems & team grow
– Creation based on the results of each Research Study:
– Advisor White Paper
– Enterprise Research Report
– 2 Nerd’s Eye View blog posts
– Webinar Presentation for Advisors
– 1 research submission to peer-reviewed Journal (and SSRN)
Additional writing & content responsibilities:
– 4 Nerd’s Eye View blog posts recapping other industry/academic research studies of relevance for financial advisors
– Research support for Nerd’s Eye View blog and The Kitces Report white papers
– Support for original research for Journal articles, including working on analysis and literature reviews
– Spot research on blog posts and/or white paper content as necessary
– Work with graphic designer to create graphic images & concept illustrations as needed for Kitces.com content (presentations, white papers, and blog posts)
– Responsible for overseeing and maintaining CE accreditation requirements for various continuing education types/entities
– Create Learning Objectives & CE Outlines (or oversee freelance providers)
– Create CE quizzes for newsletters and webinars (or oversee freelance providers)
– Opportunity to present research as a paid speaker/educator
– Responsibility to expand and develop team members of growing Kitces Research business
Key Candidate Traits
The ideal candidate should be self-motivated enough to work in a virtual environment with limited supervision, have a strong desire for continuous learning and doing research, an entrepreneurial bent to create a new body of research (and a business around it), a natural interest in coming up with creative ways to present and deliver information, and be highly effective in written communications and original writing.
Candidates must exhibit effective communication within our virtual team. While daily tasks are completed independently, at Kitces.com we strive to bring those tasks together smoothly to achieve common goals.
A high level of expertise in Excel is required, and additional research/modeling capabilities in other supporting software (e.g., R, MatLab) are preferred, and familiarity with blogging Content Management Systems (e.g., WordPress) is also preferred (but not required).
5 years of experience conducting research studies or completion of Ph.D. coursework (ABD) required, Ph.D. degree in a related subject matter strongly preferred. Completion of CFP educational requirement also strongly preferred. Direct planning experience with clients is a positive, but not required.
– Base salary $80,000/year – $100,000/year depending on background/experience
– Available bonus up to 12% of base salary, determined by meeting key business metrics
– $2,000 budget for additional financial planning education (i.e., post-CFP designations/certifications) or other training/skills education
– $1,000 budget for technology hardware/software or related office materials
– $2,000 conference budget
– Paid membership in Financial Planning Association or NAPFA (Senior Researcher’s discretion)
– Co-authorship credit for submitted Journal articles where involved in research and writing
– Flexible work schedule
– 15 days of paid time off for combined vacation + sick, plus 6 national holidays
Interested candidates should submit their Resume and Cover Letter to email@example.com, and may include an (optional) up-to-2-minute video to discuss why they are interested in the position as well.
Careers At Kitces-Related Businesses
For current job opportunities at XY Planning Network and our related businesses, click here.
For current job opportunities at AdvicePay, click here.
For currently available positions at Pinnacle Advisory Group, click here.
For current opportunities for financial advisors at New Planner Recruiting, click here.