All content found at Kitces.com and the Nerd’s Eye View blog requires permission for re-use in any capacity.
In the following situations, non-exclusive permission is granted automatically, subject to the constraints noted below:
- Social Media. You may share the hyperlink URL of any article on this site to social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, etc., using either the sharing buttons made available, or your own social media account/tools. However, sharing tools that put your own site/frame around the article (e.g., Snip.ly) are not permitted.
- Email. You may email the hyperlink URL of any article on this site as you wish, whether using our “Share via Email” button, or simply copy and pasting the link into an email.
- Printing. You may print a copy of any article on this site (or print to electronic .pdf format), but only for your personal use. To reprint for wider use or distribution, including multiple copies, whether as a physical or electronic copy, please see the Reprints section below.
- Reference On Your Own Website. You may include a hyperlink reference link back to any article posted on this website. “Deep linking” an article (by providing a reference link directly to the article as opposed to just the www.kitces.com homepage) is permitted and in fact encouraged to make it easier for readers to find the desired article. (To include a text or image excerpt, in addition to the reference link, see below.)
- Image Or Text Excerpts. You may excerpt from an article any single Kitces.com original image (noted with a “(c) Michael Kitces” in the lower right corner of the image), or up to 1 paragraph of text as a quote, as long as you include attribution to “Michael Kitces at Nerd’s Eye View” as the source, including a hyperlink tied to the text or image (or for an image, captioned immediately below it) that links back to the original source article it came from. For permission to reproduce any third-party images, which do not include a copyright for Michael Kitces of Kitces.com, please contact the original image source as noted.
- Video. Any “#OfficeHours with @MichaelKitces” video may be embedded elsewhere, as long as the full YouTube video is embedded using the YouTube native embedding feature. Any other video on this site may not be re-used without express permission (see below for request process).
- Member Resources. Premier members of the Kitces.com Members Section are permitted to use materials included in the Member Resources section in their business, as long as it is reproduced in full and with source attribution. (Advisors must still put client-facing materials through their own compliance review process, though.)
- The Kitces Report. Premier members of the Kitces.com Members Section have access to The Kitces Report newsletter for their personal use. Sharing a copy of the newsletter in full with up to 3 clients or colleagues is permitted on a one-off basis. Providing copies of The Kitces Report to a larger number of clients or colleagues requires a separate permission request, as noted below. Providing regular copies of The Kitces Report to any clients or colleagues requires a separate paid subscription for that individual; details on Group Subscriptions can be found here.
- Top Advisor Blogs or Top Advisor Conferences badge. Our list of the “Top Advisor Blogs and Bloggers” and also our annual “Best Financial Advisor Conferences” lists include a badge that can be used by the named advisor or conference on their website or in their marketing materials. As long as the badge image is used in full, and includes a hyperlink back to the source article (for any electronic/online versions of the badge), non-exclusive permission is granted to use the badge, including in printed marketing materials.
Permission Requests For Further Use
If you wish to have permission to use content from Kitces.com and the Nerd’s Eye View that is beyond the scope of the Automatic Permissions listed above, please contact email@example.com to make your request. We frequently grant such requests, and usually without any cost, but permission is required before proceeding.
Common permission requests include scenarios where you wish to:
- Multiple images. To use multiple images from a Nerd’s Eye View article.
- Long excerpts. To cite/quote a large segment of a Nerd’s Eye View article.
- The Kitces Report. Distribution The Kitces Report to more than 3 people, and/or to distribute The Kitces Report to any individual on a regular basis (e.g., as each issue is released).
- Reproduce an entire article. To use not just an excerpt of an article, but the entire version of an article, please see the Reprints section below.
If you wish to obtain permission to reprint a Nerd’s Eye View article in full, whether in electronic form, as a .pdf, or to produce physical copies that can be distributed, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and provide details of the intended scope.
Notwithstanding any permissions granted for re-use, provided automatically or upon request, the copyright and all associated rights, title, and interests in content found on Kitces.com and the Nerd’s Eye View remain with the Owner, Michael Kitces.